Conservative Pinched Nerve Treatment
Pinched nerve treatment can take a variety of forms, but in nearly all cases, conservative treatments will be attempted first. After confirming a pinched nerve diagnosis, your doctor may prescribe a regimen of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, physical therapy, hot and cold compresses, gentle stretching, and low-impact exercise. Other non-surgical options for pain management include analgesic pain patches, ultrasound therapy, corticosteroid injections, and transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS).
Alternative Forms of Pinched Nerve Treatment
Some patients choose to augment or replace their prescribed pinched nerve treatment plan with alternative therapies. Although not considered part of modern Western medicine, the following techniques have reportedly helped many people achieve relief from pinched nerve symptoms:
- Herbal remedies
- Chiropractic manipulation
If you choose to try alternative treatments, be sure to check with your physician to make sure that these approaches will not counteract any of the other treatments you may be undergoing.
Surgery as a Form of Pinched Nerve Treatment
For about 90 percent of patients with a pinched nerve, treatment in the form of conservative, non-surgical approaches will sufficiently relieve their symptoms. For the other 10 percent, surgery may become a consideration if symptoms become chronic and debilitating. Be sure to explore all of the surgical options that are available to you, including endoscopic procedures that address pinched nerves without the drawbacks of open spine surgery.
To learn more about our minimally invasive, outpatient option for surgery, Contact Laser Spine Institute for a complimentary review of your MRI or CT scan.